Study abroad during my fall semester in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

14 November 2008

Basquet en un pais del futbol

I found out three weeks ago that I could finally play basketball in this country. After a little over three months here, I could finally exercise in Argentina. You know I was elated to find out I could play. I went out two weeks ago to Club de Amigos to play with a DJ from California who I met while here, a German guy who I met that day and another Californian. I took a couple shots to warm up and missed EVERYTHING, my shots weren't even close. I probably would have had better luck shooting with my eyes closed, but I shrugged it off and figured it would be no big deal to have an off shot. Then we played some two on two for about an hour, I was drained, my whole body hurt. 3 games of two on two and a game of one on one to 11 made my whole body hurt.

I then went back last week with some friend from COPA (my study abroad program) and we came across some Argentines playing full court so we joined them, and got whooped. Im convinced Argentines can run forever, oh and they are also huge cherry-pickers on the court. After the games last week I felt better than the previous week but my feet still hurt because I didnt have the right shoes, my bball shoes were sitting in Argentine customs.

I then went to Club de Amigos today for revenge. I finally received my shoes 3 weeks after they were sent from the US and I was ready, so were my friends. We only had four so the Argentines gave us un viejo, an old guy, to play on our team, so we basically played 4 on 5. We came out pretty strong, both teams trading baskets then the fatigue factor for us kicked in while the never stop running factor kicked in for the argentines. They went up by 4 points on us and had 2 more to go to win the game, then we finally played some defense and started cutting to the basket on offense. We completely frustrated the other team and ended up winning. Americans/German/Old Argentine: 1 Young Argentines who run forever without taking a breath: 0. We should have left the court with our perfect record for the day but we decided to take on a much more talented team because we had to defend our court, winner stays on and losers leave. We stayed close with them until the end and they beat us by 4. No defense nor offense on our end and we ended up 1-1 for the night. Not too bad.

No comments: