Study abroad during my fall semester in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

05 November 2008

My first asado

This past Sunday I had the opportunity to go to an Argentine asado. For those of you who don't know what an asado is, it's the Argentine equivalent of a cookout. I went out to a friend of mines parent's house out in Pilar, a colectivo ride of about 40 min. Pilar reminded me of an area in Florida with the heat and palm trees. I arrived at the house and for once I felt like I was home because I wasn't packed into an apartment to eat. We had the asado outside, with the three dobermans which protected the house. Pilar is an area where the wealthy people of Buenos Aires live outside of the city. The asado began with potato salad and some sort of cold meat, almost like roast beef but layered with vegetables, and some bread. After that came the first round of meats; choripan and blood sausage. I had a few pieces of choripan but refused to eat the blood sausage because I've had it before and hated it. After that we had the big slices of meats from the cow and some huge ribs. By this point I was done, finished, couldn't eat anymore and there was still enough food for everyone to have at least one more piece of meat. The one thing that distinguishes Argentine asados from other asados is the fact that there will ALWAYS be plenty of meat at an asado. After we sat around a little bit to watch the tennis match between an Argentine and a French person and let our food digest the mom brought out two dessert dishes. The only one I could find room for was a huge brownie dish which had a six inch layer of whipped cream in the shape of a Hershey kiss baked on top of it with a layer of dulce de leche in between. It was the perfect ending to the asado. After the asado all I could do was lay out beside the pool in the sun and hope that I wouldn't explode!

No comments: