Study abroad during my fall semester in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

01 September 2008

Festival Okinawense

Every week the head of COPA (the program I study through down here ) sends out an email with information about different cultural events which take place during the weekends. This past Saturday I went to a Festival Okinawa-Japon. The festival took place on la Avenida de Mayo right in front of the Casa Rosada. The festival took place because the Okinawense celebrated their 100th anniversary of their arrival to Buenos Aires, Argentina. The parade included karate, two Japanese percussion groups, a color guard and many people dressed in their native attire doing dances. I had a great time and really enjoyed the percussionists. Hopefully more interesting cultural events come up while I'm here because I love learning about other cultures in Buenos Aires, and the best thing about it is that its completely free!

It's beginning to get warmer here, the temperature today was around 72 and tomorrow is supposed to be almost 80 degrees but then a front is going to come through and drop the temperatures to the 50s.

My first paper is due this Thursday for my Spanish Literature II class. I have to write no more than 4 pages on Garcilaso and el paisaje in the poems we are reading and also relate it to el locus amoenus with reference to the Egloga I we read in class. Fun stuff! Everything else is going well with classes, this week we continue to talk about Facundo in my Argentine Lit class and talk about the radicalists of the first half of 20th century Argentina in my history class, talk about the next five chapters of Boquitas Pintadas for my COPA class and finish up our discussion on art from the Spanish Golden Age in my art class.

Heres the link to my photos from Saturday: http://picasaweb.google.com/HSC02010/FestivalOkinawense#

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY OLANDER HOW ARE YOU. NICE BLOG
I AM TELLING MRS PRICE ABOUT YOUR BLOG AND SHE WILL BE CHECKING IT OUT. SKYPE US WHEN YOU CAN
LOVE DAD
WE DO MISS YOU BUT PLEASE TAKE AVANTAGE OF THE OP YOU HAVE IN FRONT OF YOU AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY YOU DID IN THE FUTURE
BYE FOR NOW

Anonymous said...

Hi My Handsome Nephew,

I just want you to know I am keeping up with you. So you are learning the TANGO huh, Well Auntie will not be doing that no time soon. Back hurts, getting older so you just Tango away. The pictures are beautiful. Wish I could be there with you. Love ya!! Auntie Lana