Study abroad during my fall semester in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

05 September 2008

Tango

Hey guys. I made it through my first parcial here for my Literatura Espanola II class. It went pretty good but was tough because I had to answer 5 questions about the Renacimiento/Garcilaso in 4 pages with quotes from the fotocopias we have for class. I had un monton of reading to go through in order to find quotes for the paper also. The whole photocopy thing for me is a whole lot more complicated than just buying a book but makes much more sense because we are able to look at a variety of opinions on topics without having to buy multiple books.

Today I went to my first of 4 tango classes. Yep thats right, tango. My program offered to partially pay for 20 people (10 guys/girls) to take tango classes. The spots for girls went quick and only 3 guys signed up including myself. We learned the very very basic tango moves today mainly just walking and how to step. It is a dance which the man leads and the woman follows but the man can do whatever and the woman just has to feel or learn to feel where to go. The posture for tango reminds me of my marching band days, straight upper body and the way we step forward is the whole heel-toe step I learned in band. Going backwards isnt much different either. When you move your foot is supposed to slide just barely over the floor. I have pt.2 of class tomorrow. Ill also be learning some salsa within the next few weeks. I have a friend from class who loves to salsa and invited me to come learn from her and her friends one weekend. On top of that I learned how to dance a little cumbia last weekend from some local argentines. By the time I get back to the states I should know a little about each dance here!

1 comment:

Ryan Stigile said...

Good call on the Tango class...the guy/girl ratio sounds definitely favorable...glad to hear your having a great time!