Study abroad during my fall semester in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

11 August 2008

Dia del Nino

Feliz Dia del Nino!!!!

Today was Children's Day, a day where every child receives(or should receive) a present from their family. Its sort of like Mothers/Fathers day in the States. A different idea for a holiday. There have been sales at stores here since I've been here just for this holiday.

Today I found a great steak spot 4 blocks from me where the steaks are great. I got a bife de chorizo steak for 33 pesos and it took up over half of my plate! I'm still stuffed from the piece of meat. This is not good that the spot is so close to me...

I've also been watching the Olympics since Friday, the opening ceremonies sure were pretty cool. Most of the time I watch the Argentine teams play in various sports but I did have the opportunity to see our men's Team USA in basketball put a beating on the host China team. Go Team USA. I'm also shocked to hear about Georgia and Russia and Bernie Mac. What an eventful weekend.

I've started to meet a lot of Argentines my age through a friend of mine who is also in the program with me. He was involved in a program in High School which he stayed here for 2 weeks and I've been hanging with him meeting new people. I've found it a little harder to understand the people my age speak at first but after a little while I get used to their speech. Its a lot quicker and slurred than the adults.

Friday, I went to the Jardin Botanico Carlos Thays in Palermo. Neat place but I bet it will be even nicer in the spring/summer when more flowers bloom. I was still able to find some pictures of some flowers and they can be found here: http://picasaweb.google.com/HSC02010/JardinBotanicoCarlosThays?authkey=NTIqjUX0IyE
I don't know what flowers I took pictures of so good luck in trying to figure it out!

Tomorrow I'm going to try and figure out how this whole books and notes system works for homework. Some classes we buy books from, others we go to the bookstore and get photocopies....very confusing.

1 comment:

MoM said...

Hey Olander,

great to see you're getting out and around the city. You need the exercise after eating all that steak!! The area looks nice, and probably nicer in the summer.
would love to visit! who is carlos thays,and did any of the statues have information near them regarding what they where??
keep them coming! this is a good way to visit argentina w/o having to pay airfare.

mom