Study abroad during my fall semester in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

18 August 2008

MIA

It’s been a few days since I’ve updated. All is well down here. Let’s see, what have I done since the last update?

Last week was my second week of classes and I’m starting to get the hang of a quicker tongue in the classroom. I’m beginning to understand the professors a little better now which is good. Now all I have to do is develop a quicker hand or abbreviations for note taking. In one class we are reading Facundo, a book on the history of Argentina written by Sarmiento, in another class we are reading Jorge Luis Borges.

On Friday I finished up my visa process over at immigration. I had to be there at 7:45 am only to sit and wait for three hours before they called my name, I signed some papers paid 200 pesos and was told to go to another room where I waited for another hour and a half. They called my name again, took my thumbprint and had me sign another paper and I was done for a grand total of about 5 hours. I’m glad I was scheduled to be part of the first group because I would hate to sit around that building on a warmer day. The other groups are scheduled for next month.

Later that night my host mother took me out to eat with a friend of hers to a little restaurant one block over. I ordered ravioles there and enjoyed them. The pastas here are great; they are my second choice for food outside of the steaks. Nate and Sam (little brothers) would have loved the restaurant because of the wall lined with seven soccer jerseys from Argentine teams that are big here. It’s interesting to see the different sponsors on the jerseys like Wal-Mart. A little random because I believe there may be on Wal-Mart in the whole city and I’ve never seen it but there is a bus that stops there, it’s a long drive from where I live.

Speaking of food, I had a traditional Argentine dish last week. The meat is called milanesa (a breaded sirloin) and placed on top of it is an egg sunny-side up. Put some mustard on it and you have yourself a very delicious meal. I’ve never placed eggs on my meat by this was delicious. The milanesa was followed by a bowl of vegetable soup, salad and one more round of milanesa, without an egg though because we ran out. After that I ate a torta made of chocolate with a layer of dulce de leche in between. Pictures will be up soon!!!

1 comment:

cardsender said...

do you have to be so descriptive with the food??
it sounds soo delicious- except the bife de chorizo and the steak milanese